Re: [TCLUG:1420] how do I make a beep?

> > To make bash beep try:
> >       echo -e "\a"
>
> I doesn't work, or it is really soft. When I type it, it displays nothing
> and returns a prompt, but no audible beep is heard. Is is sending the beep
> to the wrong place?  Do I need to redirect something to
> /dev/somethingthatcontrolspcspeaker?

ok, lemme check this whole thing again..  Didn't you want it to be that
when someone logged on, you wanted _your_ speaker to beep, not their
terminal?

That makes it difficult..

you'd probably have to create some client/server doohickey..  kind of
like what the 'talk' daemon does -- when someone requests a chat, it
sends a beep and a message to the terminal you're logged in on..

hmm..  WAIT A MINUTE!!  I think the sound card would probably be a good
bet, eh?

cat beep.au > /dev/sound (or whatever that device is, I can't
remember..)

Since the sound card has never really been part of the client/server
model that Unix uses (it's a local device, but there's no method AFAIK
of sending that data down the line to the client user's sound card.  As
opposed to GUI data for X-Windows apps, for instance..)

Anyway, I've telnetted to my brother's computer and played sounds on it
many times..  (esp. when he does something stupid -- play the "HaHa"
noise from the Simpsons..)

Anyway, I'm rambling, but maybe it gave you the solution..

Mike Hicks