RE: [TCLUG:1477] Syntax for hosts.equiv

 Here's what I get when I try to telnet to port 515:

> [wilson@galileo wilson]$ telnet 10.22.100.75 515
> Trying 10.22.100.75...
> Connected to 10.22.100.75.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> /usr/sbin/lpd: hp4000: Malformed from address
> Connection closed by foreign host.

That is what I get when I telnet to our print server here, too.  It verifies
that you are running lpd on port 515, which is correct.

> Just for completeness, here's what I get when I try to print a file from
> the box on my desk to the remote printer:
>
> [wilson@galileo wilson]$ lpr -Php4000 foo.txt
> lpr: connect: Connection refused
> jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
>
> I guess the error message from the telnet looks suspicious, but I'm not
> sure what it means. I hope everyone is learning as much from this as I am.

It just means that lpd didn't get a properly formatted print job header.  No
big deal.

How about permissions on your /etc/hosts.* ? Mine are as follows:
[root@gully /etc]# ls -l hosts.*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          161 Jul 28  1995 hosts.allow
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          347 Jul 28  1995 hosts.deny
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            7 Jun  3 13:12 hosts.equiv
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root            6 Sep 29 10:02 hosts.lpd

I used hosts.lpd to set up LPD services as it's much more secure than
hosts.equiv.

Another thing to check from a permission standpoint is whether you get
different results printing as root than as a normal user.

Believe me, I know how much of a pain setting up this stuff can be.  It took
me weeks to get the permissions straight for rlogin between my company's two
SCO Unix boxes.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator