Re: [TCLUG:1539] print server still a mystery

<< [wilson@localhost wilson]$ lpr -Php4000 .bashrc
 lpr: connect: Connection refused
 jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.

 Again, it looks like a permissions problem to me. I finally decided to
 look in the print queue on my local machine. Here's what I found. >>

The above message is generated when the lpr cannot communicate
with the local "lpd" server.  lpr tries to talk to the "lpd" daemon on the
local
machine which I assume you have started using a socket which is at
/dev/printer.

The connect function call to this socket fails.

So the permissions on the /dev/printer could be messed up. Try printing
when you are logged in as root. I donot have a printer so I am not sure
what exactly the permissions should be.

If that is not the case then make sure that the local lpd server is running
and take a look at the local "/var/log/messages" file for any messages
from LPD in it that might help you fix the problem.