Re: [TCLUG:1539] print server still a mystery

And here is something else I found that might help, from an old lpr man page.

lpr: printer: jobs queued, but cannot start daemon
     The connection to lpd on the local machine failed, probably because the
printer
server has died or is hung. A superuser can restart lpd: /usr/ucb/lpd. You can
also
check the state of the master printer daemon: sin -P lpd. Another possibility
is that
lpr isn't setuid to root and setgid to group daemon. You can check with:
     ls -lg /usr/ucb/lpr.

I guess you have to replace the paths where lpr and lpd exists. And use the
"lpc"
command to start and verify the status of the lpd.