RE: [TCLUG:1550] DNS entries

Sometime around the 2nd of October in 1998, a certain Ben Kochie said:

> odd.. i have had problems with some servers not updating records.. it's usually
> poor ISP's like netcom, or AOL that have the problems.. you may want to upgrade
> to bind 8, it's not dificult, and transfering the DNS info from bind 4 to bind
> 8 is as simple as an include perl script. :)
>
> On 02-Oct-98 Jelly Donut wrote:
> > Oh, I'm using 'unpublished primary dns' records, which means that a
> > secondary server is actually listed with InterNIC as the primary, and they
> > just AXFR the data from me when I make changes. My machine is set up as
> > the actual primary, though.

Actually, I tried it with BIND 8.1.2, and had that setup all fine and
dandy, but it didnt AXFR the data to the secondaries, so I switched it
back. Someone told me that you hafta use the same version of BIND on the
primary and secondary server, and they're running 4.9.7, so I switched
back.

It's not that they don't update. They'll update it fine, or so it appears.
It's just that after a period of time (~6 days) .. the records go away,
without my changing a damn thing.  Very disconcerting.

--
| Josh Becker                   - aka -                     JellyD |