Re: [TCLUG:1645] NT + Linux?

Eric Hillman wrote:

> > I'd appreciate any tips! The last resort is getting Windows 95 which
> > coexists pretty well.
> >

>         Er, maybe you've already thought of this, but why not just go with Win95
> anyways?  Anything NT can do as a server Linux can usually do better, and
> the only advantages NT has over 95 as a workstation (IMNSHO) are slightly
> better password protection and the ability to read NTFS partitions.  On the
> other hand, DirectX and multimedia support for NT still lag *way* behind 95
> or 98, and 95 has lower basic hardware requirements than NT -- plus you
> don't have five or six dozen background processes churning away while you're
> trying to play Starcraft.
>         Just a thought...

For development though, NT stands head and shoulders above Win95.  In addition, only
cetain software will run on NT.  In my case VisualAge for Java (which will run on
W95 though I wouldn't recommend it) and Oracle Application Server 4 (NT only).  I
use LILO for Linux and type dos to jump to the NT bootloader to load either NT (for
me) or W95 (for kids).

--
Perry Hoekstra - dutchman@mn.uswest.net
All that is Microsoft does not glitter,

From the ashes of Spec1170 a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the Unix OS that was broken,
Linux shall be king.