RE:[TCLUG:1752] KDE software

I had no such luck about 6 weeks ago. There were directories in the KDE
FTP site, but the RPM's didn't work for me, so I gave up and downloaded
the source. On my P120 with 48Mb RAM, it took FOREVER to compile
everything, especially when you factor in the QT libs. There's a lot of
stuff! I do have to say that KDE is by far the best GUI I've seen in terms
of actually WORKING. There are a lot of cool GUI's out there, but KDE is
the most functional and easiest to configure. It also has a ton of apps
that all support the drag-n-drop functionality and follow the windowing
conventions properly. Netscape and StarOffice are about the only two major
GUI apps I regularly use that aren't KDE based. All the terms,
calculators, file browsers, etc are darn good for normal use and share
common characteristics and well-designed HTML-based help system.

If I were introducing a user to Linux for the first time, I would
definitely hook them up with KDE, no matter how long it took to compile!

For the record, I'm running RH 5.0.  If you find RPMs for it, let me know.
I didn't have any problems compiling KDE, and the install scripts worked
great, but it took FOREVER! I'd like to see RPM's available. Caldara is
the only distribution that I know of that comes with KDE.

Neal

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there's a place to download all of the basic KDE
package and libraries conveniently, preferably in RPM format. I know that
there are some packages at RedHat's site and kde.org, but there
are a bunch of libraries that need to be installed too. I'm doing this for
a colleague so he can give Linux a try. I don't use KDE, and I'm not that
interested in it, so I need a convenient place to get the RPMs that won't
take a lot of time.

-Tim

			Neal Tovsen