Problem with ENTER key?

Under RH 4.2 & 5.1 I have this problem.  If I boot single user, when I
try to go multiuser without rebooting, (ie, init 3) tty1 (or whatever
console I did "init 1" from becomes unusable because I can't type a
carriage return.  Pressing ENTER key displays ^M but doesn't send a
carriage return.  The problem also happens when I boot multiuser, drop
to single user, then try to go multiuser again.  I've tried killing the
getty but it has no effect.

I've also had this problem if I'm logged into another UNIX box (HPUX
10.20) from my Linux box and the HP shell somehow locks up.  It doesn't
really time out and log me out of the HP box, but it becomes unusable
after a period of idle time.  The HP box doesn't respond to ctrl+D and
you can't type anything.  ctrl+C displays another prompt from the HP box
but it is still unusable.  Switching to another local (linux) console
and killing the bash shell that's telneted/rlogin'd/ssh'd to the HP box
makes that linux console that started the telnet/rlogin/ssh session
unusable with the same ^M problem as above.

Any one else run into this or know how to fix it?
--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Unix Systems Administrator