Re: [TCLUG:2034] mknod questions

> I can make a "fifo" by running "mknod filename p" but how do imput code
> into it? I can't do jed filename, nor even cat. The man documentation only
> tells me that I made a FIFO.

Well, you have to have two programs accessing it at the same time -- one
has to be inputting information, and the other has to be outputting it..

Maybe this will make sense..

$ cat "filename" > fifo &

$ cat fifo
<the contents of "filename" appear here>

Unfortunately, some programs do not access files in a way that works
well with pipes...  I believe they have to be character-by-character,
instead of reading by block...

> Thanks,
>
> Ben
>
> P.S. What is a FIFO?

It stands for First In First Out -- the bytes that go in one end will
come out in the same order on the other end..  I believe that's why they
call it a pipe..

LIFOs/FILOs (it's a matter of opinion, isn't it) are Last In First
Out/First In Last Out respectively..  This is basically like having
someone stack the work you need to do on top of your 'work' pile, then
you taking that sheet and working your way to the bottom until the next
dump...

I guess that's pretty irrelevant, though...
--
                    --== Mike Hicks ==--
http://umn.edu/~hick0088	mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu