Swap space no getting used

Hi,

We have a Redhat5.1 installation with 64M of RAM and 128M swap space.
When we look at the memory usage using top or free the swap space usage always
shows up to be 0.

On doing a swapon -s it complains of not finding the /proc/swap file for
reporting.

The system works fine as long as a program doesnot try and use up all the memory
like with netscape and StarOffice.  When all the memory is used up the CPU time
maxes out on netscape and the swap space still remains unused making some of the
processes crawl.

Anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem.

Thanks
Mark, Sandipan