Re: [TCLUG:2085] WordPerfect 8

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Michael Hicks wrote:

> Hmmph.. I'd _much_ rather have a console version of WP51 for Linux than
> the beast of WP7...  I hope WP8 is better, otherwise I'll be stuck using
> either StarOffice 5.0 and LyX, I think..  Probably LyX..  or maybe
> HTML..

TeX and HTML...say, are those open standards? Is LyX free? Oh yeah,
*that* must be why I use them! :)

> Is it too much to ask to get a word processor on Linux that doesn't
> crash?  And one that doesn't lag when you type in the letters (like
> WP7)?

It's too much to ask that on *any* platform. You must have forgotten my
universal law of computing:

Palmer's Law. Word processors will bloat and become morbidly obese at
twice the rate that CPUs increase in speed (as per Moore's Law).

It's true, it's true, word processors are so lame.

Christopher Reid Palmer : jaymz@acm.cs.umn.edu : innerFire on IRC (EFNet)

Free Software Special Interest Group : acm.cs.umn.edu/~jaymz/sigfs/