Re: [TCLUG:2223] stupid me

elif [ -z $RECURE2 ]
NEWFLAGS="$NEWFLAGS `echo $FLAGS |sed -e "s/R//"`
else

You are missing the closing " in the line above.

you can debug bash scripts or ksh scripts by doing a
set -x

which will print all the commands as they are being executed.

Also in cases like this for small scripts I usually copy the script to another
temporary file and start deleting blocks of code and executing it until I have
all the code sections that work fine.
From the deleted sections I delete even smaller sections until i can locate
possibly the line of code that has a problem and go through it real carefully
and it is usually due to a missing "}'[$@]

If possible I avoid trying to do to many things in a statement just to make it
easier to debug.