Remote printing configuration

Gordon Pedersen
Tim:

Just got back to town and have a couple things for you:

First, thanks for hosting the install fest--it was fun and useful.

Second, I fiddled a few minutes and got remote printing going.  My home
setup seems similar to yours at the lab so not sure why it didn't work
there.  Here's details:

a.	Printer is attached to first parallel port of machine 'pete' and is
named 'lp'

b.	I added each other machine on the network into pete's /etc/hosts.lpd
file per lpd manpage.

c.	All 3 variations in the following printcap work.  (Notice how I
changed the entry made by PRINTTOOL to correct it; it had switched the
'rp' and 'rm' entries--seems like XConfigurator does this in one of the
its steps, too--a few bugs yet in Redhat's installation scripts.)

This printcap is installed on the other machines
on the network; pete has a different and simpler one.  I haven't
addressed subtleties like using a filter for these remotely submitted
jobs but will consult the Printing-HOWTO on that, too.

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet4 600x600 letter {} LaserJet4 Default {}
hp5l:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp5l:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
#	:rp=pete:\
#	:rm=lp:\
	:rm=pete:\
	:rp=lp:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/hp5l/filter:

## per Butzen, Fred & C Hilton.  The Linux Network.
remlp2:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remlp:\
	:lf=/var/spool/lpd/remlp/err:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:lp=:rm=pete:rp=lp:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/remlp/filter:

# per /usr/doc/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO
remlp:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remlp:\
	:sh:\
	:rm=pete:\
	:rp=lp:\
	:lp=/dev/null:

d.	After changes issued 'lpc restart all' on each machine.