Re: [TCLUG:2395] connecting to the U

Hello all:

Here's the dialer script I use.  I munged the passwords and
the usernames, but all else is pristine.

Note that this script logs modem connect times/speeds to
/var/log/modem.  Neat!

John

#!/bin/sh
#
#  /etc/ppp/scripts/dialer-script-umn
#
#  This script automates the interaction portion of connecting
#  with the University of Minnesota modem pool.
#
#  Note that this is a (relatively) secure script; any password
#  used in the 'chat' portion of the script is placed in a file
#  and so will not be visible to a user with the 'ps' command.
#

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# remove any old "dialer-chat.*.*.txt" files
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

/bin/rm -f /etc/ppp/scripts/dialer-chat.*.*.txt

#---------------------------------------------------------------------
# Choose account parameters based on the day of the year
#
# NOTE: dial prefix '*70,' disables call-waiting
#---------------------------------------------------------------------

DAYOFYEAR=`/bin/date "+%j"`
ODDEVEN=`/usr/bin/expr $DAYOFYEAR % 2`

if [ "$ODDEVEN" = "0" ]; then
  ACCOUNT=trammell@foo.com
  PASSWORD=gates
  TELEPHONE=*70,852-5252
else
  ACCOUNT=trammell@bar.com
  PASSWORD=sucks
  TELEPHONE=*70,852-5252
fi

#----------------------------------------------------------------
# generate the chat script file name
#----------------------------------------------------------------

TIMESTAMP=`/bin/date "+%s"`
TIMESTAMP=`/usr/bin/expr $TIMESTAMP % 10000`
RANDSTAMP=`/usr/bin/expr $RANDOM % 10000`
FILENAME="/etc/ppp/scripts/dialer-chat.${TIMESTAMP}.${RANDSTAMP}.txt"

#----------------------------------------------------------------
# generate an empty chat script file with correct permissions
#----------------------------------------------------------------

/bin/touch ${FILENAME}
/bin/chmod 640 ${FILENAME}
/bin/chown root.ppp ${FILENAME}

#----------------------------------------------------------------
# generate the chat script
#----------------------------------------------------------------

cat >> ${FILENAME} <<EndOfChatScript
ABORT                      '\nBUSY\r'
ABORT                      '\nNO ANSWER\r'
ABORT                      '\nNO DIALTONE\r'
ABORT                      '\nRINGING\r'
REPORT                     CONNECT
TIMEOUT                    2
''                         '\rAT'
'OK-+++\c-OK'              'ATH0'
TIMEOUT                    30
OK                         "ATDT $TELEPHONE"
CONNECT                    ''
'University policy'        ''
'Username:'                "$ACCOUNT"
'word:--word:'             "$PASSWORD"
'server'                   'ppp default\r\r'
EndOfChatScript

# invoke the chat script

exec /usr/sbin/chat -r /var/log/modem -f ${FILENAME}