Re: [TCLUG:2581] Interesting Linux articles

> > There are still plenty of reasons for larger corporations to use
> > Solaris instead of Linux.  Solaris can run on 64 processor machines
> > for example, and Linux doesn't even come close to that.  Soon that
> > number will be 1024 processors.  Oracle also runs very well on the
> > Solaris/SPARC platform, much better than on Linux.
> >
> > Another thing to consider is corporations buy from Sun because
> > it has extremely good hardware support.  No one using Solaris on
> > high-end SPARC hardware is going to get too anxious to switch to
> > Linux on x86 anytime soon.
> 	[Schlough, Mark]   MS outleak  "UGH"
>
> 	Considering that Sun gets at least a third ( more like 45%) of
> its revenue from the lowest of the three tiers of hardware sales.  [This
> stat was quoted on slashdot last week] This is a siginificant issue.  In
> other words, when you break Sun's hardware sales and break it into three
> tiers (High, medium & Low)  the low end makes up about 40-45% of Sun's
> sales.  I think it's safe to say that those machines have around 1-4
> Processors.  [I'm estimating here....tell me if I WAAAY off.]    Linux
> could take a significant bite out of this portion of Sun's business.
>
> 	Sure,  Linux's SMP pales in comparison Sun's SMP.   The question
> is, how much revenue stream comes from Sun machines that are out of
> Linux's current SMP/ Hardware reach?  Does this leave enough room for
> Sun?   I think the jury is still out.
>
> 	Dunno,
>
> 	Mark

As long as it's Sun hardware being sold, Sun makes a profit, whether it
runs Linux or Solaris.  So really it's more Sun vs. Intel, and I agree
Linux makes Intel seem much more attractive than any UNIX vendor ever
could.

--
Shawn T. Amundson
amundson@gimp.org               http://www.gimp.org/~amundson

"The assumption that the universe looks the same in every
 direction is clearly not true in reality." - Stephen Hawking