Re: [TCLUG:2631] Samba setup

Do _not_ delete that.  That is the loopback address.  It's needed by some
programs that communicate via sockets (TCP/IP) on the local machine.

Don't take my word for it.  Check this site.
http://www.dmsa.unipd.it/andreap/nag/node66.html
However, the loopback interface is useful not only as an example in
networking books, or as a testbed during
development, but is actually used by some applications during normal
operation. Therefore, you always have to
configure it, regardless of whether your machine is attached to a network
or not.