Off-Line browsing with Linux?

I have returned to the world of modems for my Christmas break, and I am
wondering how I can improve performance (or at least get a perceived
improvement..)

Has anyone on this list worked with setting up a proxy or other system
for reducing the need for bandwidth?  I've taken a short look at
WWWOFFLE [http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/] and Squid
[http://squid.nlanr.net/].  I'm not sure if they fit my needs..

I don't want to enable dial-on-demand, since I like to know exactly when
I'm online, plus the fact that there are other people in this household
that use the modem line.  I don't want to knock them off, or deal with
the opposite.  (I may tinker with adding an IP-Masq gateway or similar
to my house sometime, but I don't know if that will happen soon..
Anyone dealt with Masquerade dialers?)

Anyway, plenty of questions...  Hopefully I can find a few answers..
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.1.131