RE: [TCLUG:3224] Be

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Ben Kochie wrote:

> my roomie bought it.. it's nice, very good code, has a bash clone, but
> apps just arn't there, and, well, you have to meet it's very picky
> hardware list

Well, it's not a 'bash' *clone*, it *is* 'bash'. BeOS is POSIX-compliant;
it is a true Unix (among other things). They're running GCC as their
compiler now, too.

The hardware compatibility list thing is unacceptable, however. How long
has Be been around? Wtf are the damn drivers? They're really dropping the
ball on that.

Such are the problems non-free OSs have; and Be is especialy bad.
Jean-Louis Gassee is one of the people responsible for keeping Apple so
closed and proprietary when he was there.

It's too bad, because BeOS is a brilliant design and performs amazingly. I
had five sessions of Doom running on a PowerMac 8500/120 (BeOS was
booted from and was swapping out to a Zip drive, btw), and they had only
begun to get slightly sluggish when I started up that 5th session. No
kidding. I'd like to see a Linux box do that!

But BeOS will never be more than a curiosity -- it's already dead. Not a
single app anywhere to be found, after what, 3 years? Four?

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/

"Luminous beings are we. Not this...crude matter."  -- Yoda