Linux for "regular" users

Hi everyone,

Wow, what a great turnout for the TCLUG meeting today. That was the
largest to date by far. Thanks also to the speakers. It was very
interesting.

I will have the opportunity in the very near future to advocate for Linux
to a media person. He asked me if I could think about some reasons that
"regular" users should consider Linux over Windows 9x. Conversely, he
also would like to have some suggestions on areas where Windows may still
be preferable. I could come up with such a list, but I figured that many
of you would have a lot of great ideas. So, let me phrase it this way, and
please feel free to add your own comments and ideas either to the list or
in a private email to me. I'll summarize the entire collection to the list
in a couple days.

I think the person I'll be talking to is particularly interested in issues
related to desktop use of Linux vs. Windows. Lots of desktop and server
advantages overlap of course (e.g., stability), but let's try to emphasize
the desktop. He's also interested in very specific little tricks. For
example, I recently showed home how he could be logged in as one user, hit
Ctrl-Alt-F2 and switch to another virual console, log in as another user,
and switch back to the original console. He thought it was really cool. He
also really like the themes I have available through Window Maker.

Here are the questions followed by some of my initial thoughts in no
particular order:

Why should a regular user choose Linux over Windows 9x?

* variety of UIs that are available
* stability
* security, No one else in the family/office can mess with your personal
files.
* open source provides better learning environment for children or adults
who would like to learn more about programming or general computer
operation.
* The Linux community (e.g, TCLUG)
* availability of support (see above)
* cost
* performance on older hardware

Why should a regular user choose Windows 9x over Linux?

* compatibility with certain types of new/bleeding edge hardware (e.g,
USB, sound cards)
* availability of certain types of apps (e.g, Quicken)
* ease of sharing files with other users

OK, that's my quick list. I'm interested in what others have to say about
this.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy D. Wilson			"A little song, a little dance,
University of MN, chem. dept.		a little seltzer down your