Re: [TCLUG:3260] rdist

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Richard Seymour wrote:

> Well, I can't rsh (I get the "Permission denied" message).

For example, to rsh from host "foo.com" to host "bar.com" as user
"travagli" you'd need an ~travagli/.rhosts on bar.com that looks like this:

      foo.com travagli

This will allow user "travagli" from host foo.com access.

When you rsh from foo.com, rshd on bar.com will see that your username is
"travagli" and then look in travagli's home directory for a .rhosts file.
If it exists and the appropriate line permitting access exists, you will be
granted access.

*WARNING* be very careful about adding hosts to your .rhost file which are
dialup lines like "12-164.dynamic.visi.com".  Doing this opens up your
machine to whoever happens to be on that line.  There are people who
routinely scan dialup lines for accounts that have been left wide
open--particularly the root account.