Re: [TCLUG:3331] Windows NT pricing

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Steve Siegfried wrote:

> Even if Windows were free, it's still no bargain if you spend all your
> time keeping it up and running.  Ping a typical dedicated and competent
> MS system admin (if you can find one) and ask him when was the last time
> he saw his family and social friends.

At the Ordway, we dedicate Monday nights to going home late. Also, we have
random server crahses, probably due to the fact that we can't afford one
server per process. It likes to bluescreen, and/or freeze up and emit a
long beep. For this reason we lovingly refer to our NT machines as 'The
Pieces of Shit'.

If we could afford four or five more dual Pentium Pro-based machines, we
could do the work of one modest Linux server. yay!

Needless to say, our DG-UX server goes down for maintenance and
maintenance only, and sustains ten times the number of concurrent users.

Sorry, NT apologists.

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/