RE: [TCLUG:3331] Windows NT pricing

> > A very good sign (to me) atesting to the growth and
> > maturity of the Linux environment is when I recently
> > took Win98 off my laptop completely and am now
> > running only Linux.  My laptop is my only computer -
> > no desktop for me.  It has been 2 months since I did
> > this and have had absolutely no regrets.
>
> Woo hoo! :)
	[Schlough, Mark]
	Cool !

> > My primary hope is that Linux itself remains freely
> > available so that no software developer competing in
> > the Linux marketplace can ever hold all the cards!
>
> So why doesn't this apply to applications, too? ;P

	[Schlough, Mark]

	Because applications are not part of the infrastructure, they run
within it.  They also might contain sensitve information regarding business
strategies/logic that are not to be made public.  Note: I am thinking of
financial information, possibly customer financial information, or business
logic.  Having this information would put businesses at risk because other
people could use this informatin agains them and possibly their customers.
There are certain restrictions -- the details unfortuately escape me, am in
IT y'know -- that are placed on financial institutions that are required to
keep confidential information....well confidential.

	Besides, Mr Torvalds has stated that the programmers get to decide
how their code will be licensed, not the end users.