samba 2.0 and win95 logins

We have 10 win95 clients and one linux server running samba-1.9.18. I
tried and failed to setup samba / the clients such that on startup windows
asked you for a login name and password and sent that to the linux server
and all connections were in network neighborhood if you had the access
(security=user).  win95 setup as security = user and uses the linux server
for a list of users and then could share stuff for john and sue, but not
joe, etc, without all these passwords.

The problem was that win95 gave no indication on startup if your
username/password was invalid for samba. You just couldn't access the
shares. Also, when the win95 clients tried to get a list of users for
sharing, it said the server never responding with the list.

Can I do this setup with samba 2.0? Or should I just leave security=share
on the server and the clients?  I'm basically trying to have some of the
network login functionality with samba.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

This is a Bart Simpson Congress: underachievers and proud of it.
   --   Richard Gephardt