Re: [TCLUG:3372] We're stuck with X

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Shawn T . Amundson wrote:

> > Do you know of another way of enforcing consistency throughout the UI?
> > Asking everyone nicely to please use GTK?
>
> Providing enough modivation to use GTK+ for the application they are
> writing.  There are only 2 real competitors right now for toolkits,
> and that's GTK+ and Qt.  Even if we have these two toolkits on the
> desktop at the same time, that's not horrible.

Is Motif really all that dead? Even among 'big-name' commercial vendors?

> The nice part of GTK+ is that if another display system (such as
> YAX) becomes popular, we should be able to port GTK+ to that display
> system.

Yeah, that's what I understand. And that's cool.

> If a desire to have an official standard widget set was a goal, then I'd
> only hope that GTK+ was considered simply because it is flexible enough
> and tested.

And free. :^) (I'm still a little wary of Qt.)

> > Granted, the move in Mozilla from Motif to GK is promising.
>
> I find the number of GTK+ apps scrolling by every day on freshmeat
> much more promising than Mozilla's decision.

Point taken. :^) Still, the only commercial vendor to take up GTK is
Netscape.

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/