Re: [TCLUG:3463] Can linux do this?

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Ben Luey wrote:

> My understanding was that nis/yp send passwords clear text and couldn't
> (or shouldn't) be used for root access.

Well for root, you don't want to use anything but the console or 'ssh',
anyway. I suppose you could run X from an X Terminal to the server through
PPTP, but why?

> Also I don't think nfs does file syncronization.

What do you mean, exactly? NFS doesn't need to worry about coherency;
that's taken care of by 'updated' as usual -- NFS does not make multiple
copies of files. At the ACM I can be logged in as me on two terminals and
the modifications I make to files in my home directory on one machine are
immediately apparent on the other terminal (/home is served by NFS).

> > X Windows was born to do this. Read 'man X' and look for the '-query'
> > option. It'll eat up your bandwidth, but as someone else said, there is a
> > compression scheme available to make this less of a problem.
>
> How do you have the program come up on your display without telneting into
> the server? (so you can just type netscape on the workstation, and it will
> have the server run netscape and send the display to the workstation.

You can't do that without telnetting. I guess I don't udnerstand why an X
query doesn't solve your problem. When you're running X and querying to
the server, *all* your X clients will be run on the server and displayed
to your local workstation/terminal. Isn't that ideal for a dumb terminal
setup (assuming your server(s) is/are beefy enough, that is)?

If you want to run some processes locally and some remotely, I'm afraid I
don't have an answer for you other than 'telnet', which you've said you
don't want.

*shrug*

> Power is given only to those who dare to lower themselves and pick it up.
>  -- Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)

Hey, that's a good one!

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : www.pconline.com/~reid/