X stopped working on neomagic

A friend of mine has a Sony laptop with a Neomagic 128XD graphics card
and he couldn't get more than 16 colors, so I tried and failed to help:

To make a long story short I believe that I undid everything that I did,
but now it won't even load. With the attached config it says no modes
setup for vga16 or mono, but  I want and should be using svga so I don't
know why it says this. This was the original configuration. If I change
svga in the screen def to vga16 is says no displays for depth 4 setup. If
I change teh depth to 4 then I get screen mode errors.
XFCom-neomagic-glibc is installed and has a config file which is the one
we are using now and an binary which when run trys to start X but says it
can't find a socket -- maybe x is alread running, even though it isn't.
I upgraded his rh51 machine to xfree3.3.3 but that had problems with
manually setting display depth (startx -- -bpp 8 didn't work) so I
downloaded to 3.3.2 (rh5.2 default vs the updated)

I feel really bad that I killed his X. Does anyone have any ideas?
XF86Setup  and Xconfigurator don't work.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben Luey
lueyb@carleton.edu
ICQ: 19144397

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate
plants.      --  A. Whitney Brown