Re: [TCLUG:3420] MIPS is dead

> I stand corrected. Comes from being a Mac loyalist, I guess.
> Ah well, at least SPARC is still RISC.

There are a _lot_ of people that are confused, mostly because of IBM's
weird naming scheme.  Some companies seem to like to redefine acronyms.
Kinda like Microsoft's DNS - Digital Nervous System - although that is
entirely non-descriptive.  I think they're trying to re-define the
Internet or something..

[Going off topic for a second -- sorry]
BTW - Has anyone else seen those new Microsoft ads?  All touchy-feely
and filled with stuff that's completely irrelevant.  It just makes me
cringe!  I think they're probably going to announce something during the
Superbowl or something (Probably start advertising W2K *snicker*)  Makes
me start to think about what sorts of ads you could make for Linux...

Anyway, just random mumblings
[Back to the topic]

> Also, I heard MERCED will be a variation on VLIW. Can anyone confirm/deny?
> The implication is that it's getting too expensive to get performance by
> bumping the clock rate up..

That's what I've been hearing..
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.0-pre6