RE: [TCLUG:3548] xdm

RedHat bundles Xbanner with the Xsetup_0, so you can either tell that to
load the image you'd like into the root window, or replace it with
something like xlock.  I did the same for all machines in our department
which use a collection of high res images of the Twin Cities area I took
during the summer.  It'll display a new image at random and looke pretty
nice.  You can contact me if you're interested in using any of my
pictures.  Here's what my Xsetup_0 looks like (call me the Martha Stuart
of xdm!):

#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $
xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed
-exitOnFail &
# Add some interesting images to the desktop
if [ -d /usr/share/images -a -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xv ]; then
  /usr/X11R6/bin/xv -root -viewonly -vsdisable -max -quit -random \
/usr/share/images/*.jpg
else
   /usr/X11R6/bin/xsetroot -solid black
fi

# Set up some seasonal goodies.
# First, see if xsnow exists.
if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xsnow ]; then
   # We only want it to snow in the Winter.
   MONTH=`date +%m`
   if [ "$MONTH" = "12" -o "$MONTH" = "01" ]; then
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xsnow -notrees &
   fi
fi

Enjoy!  The xsnow is a nice touch.  It'd be really cool if some brave
soul would want to hack it so that it will have a falling leaves option!
:-)

Peter Lukas