Re: [TCLUG:3602] Xemacs undr RH5.2

> I was checking out http://www.xemacs.org and I wanted to get an RPM for
> Xemacs20.4 but I only saw them for Hurricane and Manhatten.  Will one of
> these compile under RH5.2 (Apollo)?

Whenever I'm looking for RPMs, I go to http://rpmfind.net/pub/RPM
If you know exactly the package you're looking for, you can go to
http://rpmfind.net/pub/RPM/<package>.html, and it'll list RPMs for
various distributions..

It looks like there's an RPM of xemacs-20.4 on there that came from
RedHat PowerTools 5.2:
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/powertools/5.2/i386/xemacs-20.4-2.i386.html

> Also, I know I asked about this before, but I still am not able to
> connect to the U of M with my Linux box and I was wondering if anyone
> has setup a connection using GNOME.  If so, I would appreciate a note or
> two on how you did it.

I have Gnome, but I guess I don't know how you'd set up a connection
with it (is there a PPP configuration app?)  I know there are a couple
of programs that will work for starting/stopping a PPP connection (I
used the ModemLights panel applet), but you just have them point to
scripts that you already have...  (I think)

There are some programs that will create scripts for you but I've never
used them.  I've usually just hacked a ppp script that came with my old
Slackware install, causing myself tremendous pain and suffering ;-)
Some of the other people on the list should have some ideas, though..

BTW, if you ever upgrade to Linux 2.2, make sure you download the newest
version of pppd _before_ you upgrade..

I remember back when I went from 1.2.13->2.0.x  I had no idea what I was
getting myself into :-P  Fortunately, I've learned from those
experiences (sort of)

--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.0-final