A new subscriber...

Hello all from a brand new subscriber.

My question, and my reason for joining is this: I've been using Linux
for about six months now and have been unable to get connected to my ISP,
which, incidentally is the U of M modem pool. Using linuxconf I have set
up my ppp interface, the modem will dial the number, go through the standard
handshaking noises, then ppp will start the whole connection process over
again. I believe I'm following the instructions in the Red Hat installation
guide (RH 5.2), and the myriad of other sources correctly. Is there some bit
od arcane logic that I'm forgetting? Has anyone else had trouble connecting
to the U's modem pool? Am I just hopeless? :)

Thanks

Joe Laha
penguin@acm.cs.umn.edu