Vanilla Clients Mailing List Archive

netrek developer newbie

Hi Gang:

First off, my hat off to all the developers that are helping to improve this
terrific game.

Second, I'm developing a Win-only version of Netrek, using MFC and OpenGL.
(MFC for convenience, OpenGL for nifty features, like zooming the local
window, etc etc etc.) However, being a complete newbie to netrek code, I
don't have the inkling of a clue regarding the netrek client-server
communications format, or even the overall framework of the game. (for
instance -- do redraws happen on a packet-received basis, or on a timer
basis? Who keeps track of torp locations -- client or server? That sort of
stuff.) I could go dig this stuff up in the code .... but .... and no
offense.... that code isn't exactly the most readable piece of software I've
ever seen, and certainly not the most documented. Plus, if a FAQ explaining
all this stuff already exists, it'd save me quite a bit of work. So, anyone
know if there's a spec document for Netrek in existence, or is the source
code the only source of info about this?

Thanks.
Eugene Polonsky
Software Engineer
Combichem Inc.