Vanilla Clients Mailing List Archive

COW

I have just played MS allegiance.
Nice graphics and 3d play but still lacks the gameplay
of netrek.  I just dont see it as a game that can
give decades of fun and enjoyment.

I have gotten back into my "I wanna create a directx
netrek client" phase.  Will you guys be available by
email to answer any technical questions which might
arise as I research the netrek server/client
interface.

I love netrek and have been playing it since '92.  But
I think people would be more willing to play it if it
had snazzier graphics and sounds.  There's no need for
3d graphics.  But 2d sprites of 3d images would be
nice and i know some graphic designers who would be
interested (i hope) in doing the art.  A nice looking
directx COW might be whats needed to bring a whole new
generation  of twinks to netrek and hopefully bring
back the turnout of players that existed back in the
early 90's.

The client i am envisioning would have the option of
choosing between classic netrek look or the new
directx look.  This would appeal hopefully to both
vets and new players.

there are some other ideas,  many of which you might
have already heard before.

look forward to hearing from you.

dorian araneda
software engineer