Clue Pickup Archive

[CLUE-PICKUP] numbers.et.byu.edu: new netrek server coming up on 8-1

(From a post to r.g.n.)

I'm setting up a server based on Felix's old "Extreme netrek" idea.
It's all done except that half of it is done on my linux box and the
other half on the HP that's actually going to be running it. ;)  It
should be up and running tomorrow after noon MDT.  (I'll try for noon
EDT, but I don't know if I'll be up that early. ;)

In case people have forgotten (it HAS been four years), eXtreme Netrek is
when you have two homeworlds and one neutral planet between them.  First
team to get more planets than the other wins.  Needless to say, this
doesn't allow for a whole lot of finesse, so numbers will have TWO
neutral planets.

This is, AFAIK, terra incognita (someone implemented an inferior votable
version in setgalaxy and commands, but I never heard of it getting used)
so the settings will probably get changed a bit as we find what works
well.

* 10 updates/second for everyone.  (Must be explicitly set by client,
tho.)

* Max 12 total players.  (But you get 8 observers! ;)

* 3 player teams required for T

* need five players on a team to bring out a base (instead of four)

* don't need 5 planets to get a base, of course, but the base mods
  won't be tested until someone gets rank.  (I guess I could munge
  the database to give a test char the rank, but I'd rather:)

* set SB rank to lieutenant

* No DDs.  (Just kidding.  But we *could* ban them. ;)

* Reduced BB phaser cost (but not torp).  This could be removed if
  it's unbalancing in the smaller galaxy.

* Increased AS cloaking randomness ala bigbang

It's late.  That's all I can think of.  Come play tomorrow.

Jonathan Ellis
maniac
the server is "numbers.et.byu.edu" if you skipped the subject line ;)