[VANILLA-L:207] Re: Netrek HATES Solaris

> Whoops.  Are you on the Vanilla server mailing list?  I just sent
> a response, but I just assumed you are.  If not, I can send you
> a copy of what I just posted.

I am on the list.

> What makes you say the robot code killed the server?

Good point, can I say instinct? I am not sure, but any time the robot code
is run, it crashes the server.

> At any rate, just to check, make sure you've got #define RESTRICT_BOMB
> in config.h.

In config.h

                                /* RESTRICT_BOMB   - No bombing out of t-mode */
#define RESTRICT_BOMB

> The pertinant code to that is in ntserv/interface.c.
>
> Also, I think I had a problem with the configure script not quite setting
> Solaris defines.  Make sure you've got all the right defines for Solaris
> and SYSV/SVR4.
>
> Make sure it defined STDC_HEADERS and SYSV_SIGNALS or POSIX_SIGNALS.  I'm
> still not sure which is correct for different versions of Solaris.

STDC_HEADERS and SYSV_SIGNALS are defined.

> I've also circumvented the SETPGRP to force it to setpgrp(), but I can't
> find where it's called in the code.
>
> Also, check out the SunOS -> Solaris transition guide in the Answerbook,
> if it's still there.  Most of the Server code was tailored for BSD, so
> combing through that might help.
>
> Sorry, the gdb stuff doesn't help me out much.  Do you get any warnings
> when you build?  What compiler are you using?  What version of the Server?

I get a few :
	warning: passing arg 2 of `sigset' from incompatible pointer type

gcc 2.7.2

vanilla pl3

> Is it possible that having a second processor with all the forked stuff
> going on is causing some freakish thread timing problem?  Has anyone
> else got a server running on a multiple-processor Solaris machine?
> (I could try, I've got two 2 proc servers)

I runs, just not for very long.

If it would help, I can give you an account on the machine where
the server runs and let you play with it.

--
email : tanner@real-time.com		   Come try the latest netrek server
www   : http://www.real-time.com/~tanner   to hit the 'net! Sparc20, 2 90Mhz