Vanilla List Maling List Archive

[VANILLA-L:890] Re: [VANILLA-L:884] they're playing our song...

Kevin O'Connor writes:

> The other thing is, it may be worthwhile to adopt a policy of: "if we
> declare it, they will build it."  I first started hacking on the INL robot,
> roughly two and a half years ago.  I can only guess as to how long it lay
> fallow prior to my first encounter with it.  After I left, the code lay
> dormant, the issue unraised, until Dave Ahn declared that he would have the
> server ready for the '97 summer season.  Since then the only public
> exposure has been the test games I called a couple of months ago.
> It seems to me, the INL robot has transcended reality and become a pseudo
> netrek-myth.  Sort of like, "Balton would have lived."  People have heard
> about it, they'd like to believe in it, but to them it is just an "old
> wives tale."  If the robot is brought into main-stream use, it will get
> more exposure.  With this exposure there is an increased likelihood that
> trekers will be motivated to fix the bugs and add the features.  As it
> stands now, only a minute fraction of the total community is even
> considering working on the code.

Well, I would like to move to it as soon as possible.  But there has to
be some basic functionality before we can do that.  I think PW-style
stats are a must; it doesn't have to be the exact same stats, but something
with that level of detail, and hopefully room for growth, would be
part of what I consider to be basic necessary functionality.  Other than
that I would be willing to go with the INL Robot as the required server
platform for now, if someone on vanilla-l would be willing to be
designated as bug-fixer for the first season.
 -Tom
+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++