[VANILLA-L:27] Re: [VANILLA-L:15] Re: [VANILLA-L:11] Re: [VANILLA-L:7] Re: [VANILLA-L:1] Re: [VANILLA-L:881] Enable the "who" command?

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 03:53:27AM -0400, Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:

> One and the same.  vanilla-l is archived on the web.  There are bots
> that go and get email addresses from web pages.  Now do you want to
> take the arvchives off the web?  Or perhaps comb them to remove all
> email addresses?

You can't be serious.  Making the entire contents of the address list
public and publicly archiving the list traffic are two COMPLETELY
different things.  You missed my point ENTIRELY.  I didn't disagree
that it's easy to get many members' addresses by combing rgn, the
vanilla-l archives, etc.  My argument was based on observing common
courtesy and respecting members' privacy.

> Ok, now do you object to other members of the list seeing who is on
> the list?  I've stated why I think this is useful.  Are we going to be
> such a secretive group that we can't even know who belongs to the group?

It has nothing to do with secrecy but everything to do with privacy.  I
clearly stated that people on this list probably don't care.  On principle,
yes I object to other members of ANY list seeing who is on that list.
Practically, it makes little difference if that were possible on vanilla-l
or the majority of other lists on the Internet.  Our discussions are not
earth-shattering.

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 11:11:17AM -0500, Steve Sheldon wrote:

>  I'm not sure exactly how Netiquette comes into play here, could you please
> provide a reference for this?

I'll dig it up.  Off the top of my head, you can look at the FAQs for sendmail
(look at expn/vrfy privacy flags), mailing lists, majordomo, listproc/serv,
privacy, and anonymity.  It's stated in (some of) these documents that mailing
list addresses generally should be kept confidential unless explicitly
announced that they will be publicly accessible.

>  I think you are making silly arguments against this, and trying to take
> some sort of higher moral grounds response.

Probably.

>  Frankly, I doubt any email spammer cares a whit about vanilla-l email list.

I agree.

>  On the other hand, I don't care a white about who is on the vanilla-l email
> list either.

Ditto.

>  I say to JeffNo, if you want to make sure someone receives a post, cc it to
> them anyway.  If they get two copies and complain, just tell them it was
> Dave Ahn's fault.

Yeah, feel free to lay the blame on my feet.  I tend to be vocal about
certain issues, even if they're much about nothing.

>  Ok, problem solved.  I joined the list to talk about the server code.

Cool.  Hi Steve!
--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2
+