Vanilla List Maling List Archive

just commited some changes

I have commited some changes to the server.  Some code review and comments
would be welcome.  The excerpt from the ChangeLog is below.  I don't think
posting the diffs is a good idea as:

	% diff -crN Vanilla.ref Vanilla | wc -l
         44702

A couple of things:

 * If the new config options are left undefined, the server should behave
   identically as before.  If something is broken, please let me know.

 * The LTD stats are not ready for prime time pickup action, but it is
   ready for beta testing in clue games.  I ran a test game last night
   with the help of some folks (including Dave Swasey) and fixed a few
   bugs.  While the tools are not very good, it should be enough to
   begin with.  Tom Holub has volunteered to handle the Perl parsing of
   the ltd_dump output into an HTML-ized format.  All kinds of
   interesting statistics (right down to average torp damage)
   can now be calculated.  One caveat: the tick zones (which replaces
   the old offense rating) is completely broken.  I will look at fixing
   it soon, but I am more interested in some validation of the stats
   right now.  The ltd_dump program works, but I plan to clean it up
   and add some varying options to it.  (Tom, it should not affect the
   output dump.)  I will probably call a real clue game next week.
   Other caveats: the ranking and ratings aren't working properly.
   It will be fixed soon.  There is a lot to be done, but hopefully
   others will chip in and help now that the code is finally public.

 * These changes are in the main branch, do a cvs update to fetch them.

Dave

ChangeLog:

Fri Apr 30 14:31:15 1999        Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>

        * NOTE: This is a massive changelog entry describing modifications
        to thousands of lines of code.  Some of those changes are
        cosmetic, others are not.  To see the actual changes, take a look
        at the diffs somewhere in the VANILLA-DEVEL archive.  Also, I
        propose that we follow the GNU-style ChangeLog documentation that
        Kevin Oconnor started.  I prefer a less specific, hand-waving,
        bastardized-GNU-style ChangeLog, but the formatting should be
        similar enough.  James and other developers are welcome to follow
        my style, but as long as there is some form of documentation, the
        style shouldn't matter.

        * CONFIG config.h.in: I have removed the SHORT_PACKETS and SPEEDUP
        ifdefs from the source files.  They exist in config.h.in in case
        COW depends upon it, but they have no meaning for the server code.
        LTD_STATS is a new define for the Leonard/Tom/Dave extended
        statistics package for INL gameplay.  For details on LTD stats,
        see the FEATURE entry and the docs/README.LTD file.  SB_CALVINWARP
        is a new define for calvin style sling-transwarp, off by default.
        REVERSED_HOSTNAMES is a new define to truncate the player's client
        hostname from the end rather than the beginning, off by default.

        * UPDATE (RES-RSA): We are now using the new RES-RSA-shell
        packaging so that both the U.S. and Euro versions of RES-RSA.
        configure should autodetect U.S. RES-RSA 2.9.1 and Euro RES-RSA
        2.9 and above.

        * FEATURE (ANSI-C): I have updated almost all files in ntserv/ as
        well as some other files in the other directories to contain
        ANSI-fied prototyped functions.  Most externally accessed
        functions now have a prototype in proto.h.  While additional code
        cleanup should probably be done, I think that these changes are
        good.  There are numerous small bugs that I uncovered and fixed
        during this process.  Let's try to make future contributions ANSI
        C compliant.  Quite a few files, especially in xsg/, still need
        some cleaning up.  I have also corrected numerous warnings and
        remarks that I found in ntserv/, so now ntserv and daemonII can be
        built with cc -fullwarn or equivalent.

        * FEATURE ntserv/smessage.c, ntserv/warning.c (stdarg): The old
        style varargs have been replaced with stdarg.  The changes are
        mostly in the messaging functions and should not break anything.

        * FEATURE ntserv/redraw.c (SB_CALVINWARP): The old calvin server
        had a non-degrading sling transwarp feature.  Basically, a
        transwarping ship does not decelerate and can be sling-shot over
        the base if the base presses the incoming ship before it docks.
        Really fun for base oggs!

        * FEATURE ntserv/main.c (REVERSED_HOSTNAMES): Internet hosts these
        days have extremely long hostnames.  To better tell who is logging
        in from where, this config feature truncates the hostname from the
        end rather than the start.  So, me@ppp-host.abcdehijklmnop.dom.com
        becomes me@#mnop.dom.com, where # denotes truncation.  The full
        hostname, up to 31 chars, is still stored in p_fullhostname.  This
        probably should be expanded.

        * FEATURE (LTD_STATS): This is the new Leonard/Tom/Dave extended
        statistics package.  THIS IS BETA CODE.  DO NOT ENABLE LTD_STATS
        UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  An extensive description of
        the LTD stats package is in docs/README.LTD.  As of right now,
        many tools, including xsg and pledit, are broken with LTD_STATS.
        I hope to enlist some help to update the tools and to validate the
        statistics package.

        * BUGFIX newstartd/newstartd.c (handle_reaper): Some OS's,
        primarily the modern SVR4 derived ones, now generate zombie
        children if a forked process is not waited on.  I have fixed this
        by using sigaction, but this may not work if the OS does not
        support the SA_NOCLDWAIT flag.  See and enable REAPER_HANDLER in
        newstartd.c to use the fix.  I added a workaround fix for Linux
        which does not have SA_NOCLDWAIT.

        * BUGFIX tools/update.c (no_zombies): Like newstartd.c, updated
        was also creating zombie processes on Solaris.  Same solution
        applies, but again, SA_NOCLDWAIT must be supported for it to work.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2