Vanilla List Maling List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2404] When should Geno happen?

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 11:08:22PM -0500, Steve Sheldon wrote:

> > Hey all.
> >
> > Discussing a bit with James brought up this interesting question.
> >
> > If a team that lost its last planet still has armies in flight (has
> > carriers) has geno really happened?
> >
> > James is of the opinion that no, geno hasn't happened.  I'm leaning
> > towards the same.  The team still has armies do do damage with.  Once
> > it/they is/are gone, then geno has truly happened.
> >
> > Opinions?  Discuss.
>
> I agree, and I think it presents a new challenge.  For instance if the team
> has a SB left which is carrying, the enemy would have to ogg it as well as
> take out the last planet.
>
> It is quite the radical change to the rules, but I don't think it would
> upset balance in any way shape or form.

I do agree that it's a radical change.  This shouldn't impact INL games
very often since genos are fairly uncommon, but it does make genocide
much more difficult when LPS's do happen.  Genocide is already diffcult
if the losing team has at least a few decent players, so forcing the
winning team to track down and kill every army aboard every ship seems
a bit exasperating.  And if those armies are on board a competent SB,
the LSS (last starbase stand?) would drag until timercide kicks in.
While I think that we could experiment with this in pickup/clue games
and do agree that it is more realistic, I feel that such a change is
not a very practical one.

--
Dave Ahn <ahn@vec.wfubmc.edu>        |  "When you were born, you cried and the
                                     |  world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Virtual Endoscopy Center             |  so that when you die, you will rejoice
Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine |  and the world will cry."  -1/2 jj^2