Vanilla List Mailing List Archive

Re: [VANILLA-LIST:2682] My correspondence with Ted

A little off topic ;-)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999  Dave Ahn wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 02:37:35PM -0400, Jeffrey Nowakowski wrote:
>> Kurt Siegl <007@freemail.at> wrote:

>> I think you attached the wrong mail.  At least I don't speak German.
>
>Hmm...let's see if I can translate off the top of my head:

>>Does the paragon have some kind of a known problem with simultaneously
>>sending longer packages?
>
>[translation might be lost, as I don't know what "paragon" and "packages"
> refer to]

Paragon refers to Intel Paragon, a big supercomputer built by Intel. That
machine had as far as I can remember 64 i860 processors and message
passing comunication. It was brand new at that time and the OS itself was
teribble buggy.  Packages refer to data junks.

>>First, a broadcast of a string of length 4 bytes works fine.
>
>>A length of 5 bytes leads to a crash.
>
>>There is no problem with normal, simpler communication.
>
>>I also have a problem with the output ... [don't know what verschwindet means]
>>that occurs sometimes over the Net [blind guess here]

verschwindet means vanish, diasapear. So here: the output is lost in cyberspace.

>>Are there some kind of known problem before I plunge in with a debugger?

It's fun debugging a multi processor OS as application programmer ;-)

Kurt (007)

--
Kurt Siegl / Franzberg 4, A-4483 Hargelsberg, Austria
Email: Kurt.Siegl@freemail.at  Tel (ISDN):   *(7225)7017