[VANILLA-L:1467] Re: [VANILLA-L:1457] Discussion

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Dave Ahn wrote:
> >  I'm all for taking advantage of the moronic Linux horde, but I don't like
> > the GNU license and think it would be evil to succumb to their stupidity.
>
> GPL isn't the best license for all OSS packages.  But many of its
> terms, I feel, apply to a well designed and fine tuned (but
> struggling) game like Netrek.  I certainly don't think GPL is stupid.
> Any author who can't live with the licensing terms shouldn't put
> his/her work under it.

I'm not sure how it works, exactly, but I've seen several packages with
dual licenses.  The user of the package can either use it under the GPL
license or [some other license], whichever they prefer.  The most recent
one I ran across was PHP3 (www.php.net), but I've seen several other large
packages distributed this way.  I think I've also seen a few perl modules
distributed that way, allowing either the GPL or the Artistic License.

You may be able to come up with some license that will give authors
permission to use their own work without propogating the GPL virus, but
still be able to claim that netrek is GPLed.

							- Eric

+
++ Vanilla-l Mailing List ++