Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Quake/QW and Pipeline 75 and NAT

James Johnson wrote:

> Strange my IP is 192.168.100.101, and I can play Quake/QW perfectly fine
> (Ascend Pipeline 75 w/ multi-IP NAT). I get one valid IP address from my
> ISP, and I wanted to play Quake so Multi-IP NAT was my only choice.
> Fortunately I don't need more than one machine connected. I know NAT single
> IP does not work. Read on for the reason...

This still boils down to a problem with Quake.  Every other UDP/TCP
program I've used manages to make it through the address translation...
why?  Because the server doesn't depend on any data within the TCP/UDP
packet to determine the source port/source IP address combination.
Apparently, there is some inline information encoded for the client port
number.  This is bad.

Thanks,

--
Jason Eggleston