Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) re: Ascend's Comedy Voice-Mail

Clifford Donley wrote:

> At 02:02 PM 11/1/97 -0800, Shiloh Costa wrote:
> >>
> >>        (Has anyone else noticed that the female voice that comes on
> >>        when one is on hold for tech support seems to be barely able
> >>        to keep from laughing when she offers the option of leaving
> >>        a message for a callback, or am I just imagining things?)
> >
> >You are not imagining things.  I hear it the same way.  Actually its kind
> >of annoying, because usually when you are calling Tech Support, you are in
> >a very frustrated mood, and the last thing you want to hear is some
> >automated recording where the person is just about to crack up laughing -
> >and it does sound that way. Kind of ridiculous.
>
> It's probably supposed to be bubbly enthusiasm. Doesn't work.
>
> When I call a support desk, all I want to hear is that I'm in the queue and
> how long the anticipated wait is. I don't want to hear elevator music,
> promos, the chairman's remarks to shareholders, or anything but a
> reassuring comment every minute or two telling me the status of the queue.

I thought it sounded more like she was nearing orgasm- maybe I've been
mistaking laughter for sexual excitement all this time. ;-)

It _is_ noticeable, though- several people in the office have commented
on it the few times I've had it on the speakerphone. Not often.

'Shot