Ascend Archive

Fwd: RE: (ASCEND) Stacking with Cat1900

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:57:35 +0000, Mike Hughes wrote:

>On 27 Apr 98 at 12:04, Larry Rosenman-CyberRamp Syst wrote:
>
>> I've got an 8 Max Stack running on a 1900, no problems.
>>
>> I have a 29 Max Stack running on a Cat5000, and MAY be running into
>> issues (I'm working with support on them), but the switch IS NOT THE
>> ISSUE, just the number of Chassis.
>>
>> Larry Rosenman
>
>Yep, I'll agree with Larry, I've got a 2x Max4000 stack running
>across a Cat 1900 (which actually replaced a 3Com SuperStack II,
>incidentally). No problems here whatsoever. Downloading 14 K/sec
>right now with my Pipeline 50 test rig, one channel to each box.
>
>Having just swapped a 3Com for the Cat 1900, I was a bit worried when
>I read your email!
>
>Naturally, the bigger your stack gets the more likely you will hit
>problems.
>
>Mike

There is of course one item to do with switches which we really
haven't covered in this discussion....

Preferably all the MAX's should be pulled into the ONE switch.

Preferably the SWITCH should have a backplane bandwidth big enough to
handle the task.

I just pulled an old unlabelled 10 meg switch from a customers
premises and replaced it with a Bay 350T.

Originally I thought the switch was a hub, But the taiwanese
documentation, whilst not identifying the manufacturer or model, had
diagrams & instructions to match the device. Yes they claimed it was
a switch.

In the work shop, doing some tests, yes it is a switch but I guess
its internal bandwidth is like an outdoor dunny (up the sh*t).

Gary