Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Anti Smurf enabling

On Tue, Apr 28, 1998 at 11:17:55PM -0700, Geoff White wrote:

> Can anybody tell me how to turn on anti smurfing on my ethernet interfaces
> for my pipeline products (P130, MAX1800s)
> as in the equiv. to
> no ip directied-broadcast on ciscos

You need a 6.x firmware. Then just say "Forward directed Bcast=No" in
Mod config. You my as well say "Reply directed Bcast Ping=No" to prevent
the Max from answering bcast pings. But with "Forward directed Bcast=No"
be sure to verify that your routing is still operative. There was some
awkward bug in the last release where we checked this, to the effect that
this setting did not only filter out directed bcasts to be forwarded, but
also those originated on the boxes like - imagine - RIP. Short said, if
your RIP is R.I.P. after setting this to No, you will either have a real
reason to switch to RIPv2 Multicast or will need to keep this option
on Yes and write your own filter until this is fixed.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   XLink PoP Dresden | o |

Follow-Ups: References: