Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Max2024 - Ethernet collisions & delays

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Steve LaDuke wrote:

> that it was because it was on a busy hub.  I moved it to a switch
> port and rebooted it.  The number of collisions has not decreased.
> It always seems to be about 10% of packets transmitted.  Is this normal?

Not really.  10% is a lot of collisions.  A switch should filter out the
collisions that affect the outside world, however, it is possible (if much
of the traffic on the ethernet is going into and out of the Max, or if
there is a lot of broadcast traffic - do you do a lot of filesharing via
Netbeui?) that your collisions are legitimate.

> Also, sometimes the packets get delayed for several seconds.
> The samples below are from pinging another device that is directly
> connected to the switch.  No packets are ever lost.

Maxen under heavy load tend to have fits of slowness like this.  When I am
getting smurfed, it's not uncommon for my pings to take a couple of
seconds to get ironed out.  It only happens, however, when there is a LOT
of traffic going on in more or less all directions.  Collisions don't seem
to affect it.  (But I don't have many collisions anyway).