Ascend Archive

RE: (ASCEND) Max2024 - Ethernet collisions & delays

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, William T. Willson wrote:

>Not really.  10% is a lot of collisions.  A switch should filter out
the
>collisions that affect the outside world, however, it is possible (if
much
>of the traffic on the ethernet is going into and out of the Max, or if
>there is a lot of broadcast traffic - do you do a lot of filesharing
via
>Netbeui?) that your collisions are legitimate.

There is lots of file sharing over Netbeui, but not through the Max.  I
often
see broadcast traffic going to all switch ports.

>Maxen under heavy load tend to have fits of slowness like this.  When I
am
>getting smurfed, it's not uncommon for my pings to take a couple of
>seconds to get ironed out.  It only happens, however, when there is a
LOT
>of traffic going on in more or less all directions.  Collisions don't
seem
>to affect it.  (But I don't have many collisions anyway).

The Max is under very light load much of the time (including when I took
the
samples.)  I don't have to worry about getting smurfed because it is
protected from the Internet by a firewall.