Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) Interesting Problem

At 15:25 1998/04/27 -0500, Scott Kozicki wrote:
>>   : When they try to access anything outside our network nada.  They can't
>>   : ping anything outside our network and I can't ping them from anywhere

>default route for the Max they're on (get out onto the ethernet, or go
>down any T1's connected to the box, as long as it's not the default
>route). I can even traceroute from the Max out the default route, all
>other routes go down the default route, but dialup users do not. I've

when you traceroute to them from the outside,
do you see the address of the Max as the last good hop?
if not, and the last hop shown is your "default" router
the problem is that your default router doesn't have a route to the client.

when you do a traceroute from the client out,
do you see the address of the Max's default route as the last good hop?
if not, and the Max itself is shown last the route problem IS in the Max,
and may take some more work to find the problem...

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D