Ascend Archive

RE: (ASCEND) Max2024 - Ethernet collisions & delays

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Steve LaDuke wrote:

> There is lots of file sharing over Netbeui, but not through the Max.  I
> often see broadcast traffic going to all switch ports.

That is liable to be the cause of your collisions.  Netbeui is an
EXTREMELY chatty protocol and generates a truly stupendous amount of
broadcast traffic.  This traffic goes to the Max whether it wants it or
not.  If there's a lot of it, and your Max is trying to route packets over
the WAN at the same time, you will see collisions.

If you can switch your Windows filesharing system to exclusively IPX or
TCP/IP you will probably see a lot of decrease in your collisions.

You might consider firing up a traffic sniffer to determine what
percentage of the traffic on the MAX's switch port is broadcast traffic.

> samples.)  I don't have to worry about getting smurfed because it is
> protected from the Internet by a firewall.

Lucky you :)