Ascend Archive

Re: (ASCEND) digital modems

On Thu, Jul 09, 1998 at 02:46:51PM -0400, Phillip Vandry wrote:
> I've seen that strange numbering before, but I didn't know it was
> constant (i.e. it's always 1-8,11-12,15-16). I used to surmise that the
> DM-16's were DM-16's with some of the modems having tested bad at
> the factory (if 1, 2, 3, or 4 modems test bad then they slaughter 3, 2, 1,
> or 0 additional modem(s), respectively, and sell the card as a 12)
>
> False, right? :-)

My first thought, too, but IMHO it's false. It rather appears that
they use the same printed circuit layout for all of them and have
more or less chips soldered onto it. Due to the circuit layout, this
results in a somewhat discontinous numbering. You can easily see this
in the relevant Modem Stat window on the Max VT100 screen. When
looking into the card (trough the side slots), you can see that
some chips are missing, so it is not pure "preselection".

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck  (ABPSoft)   AB10-RIPE   Xlink PoP Dresden | o |