(ASCEND) Our first Max dies today!

I am relating the following story in the spirit of sharing war stories and
in case someone might have experienced something similar.

This afternoon one of our Maxes stopped working. It powers on and does
nothing (no link integrity on the Ethernet, no messages on the console)
I replaced it with a spare 4048, but this was a temporary solution as
the busted Max is a 4004 and had 4 T1's.

While playing with it, I noticed that it had two busted fans (out of
three!), and that it actually works as long as there are no modems in
it. The moment you put modems in it, it won't boot (even just one card).

I noticed that the Max appears to have two power supplies, one next to each
other (one on top of each other in the newer internal layouts), and they
have different ratings. I wonder if there's supposed to be one for the
modems and one for the motherboard?

My final solution to this problem, to get things back online ASAP, was to
open up the busted 4004 and the new 4048, and swap motheboards. Now the
4004 works great with the casing and power supply from the 4048. And I'm
left with a 4048 in which I can put no modems (because it has the bad
casing). That's OK, I can use it for ISDN!

Extra bonus: This 4004, which was by far our hottest Max, with 72 V.34
modems in it, now has a newer style casing which has 4 fans. (And the
ISDN only box now has the older casing with only three fans, but that
doesn't matter, it won't get hot without modems!)

-Phil